You might notice that my post are starting to narrow down to 3-4 times a week...

Things have been very hectic for me so far this new year.  I decided to sign up again and complete my Bachelor's Degree at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro after taking 8 years off from school.  I was almost done with my degree when I met and fell in love with Serena's dad.  That relationship took me overseas to China for a few months, up to Roanoke/Smith Mountain Lake, VA for a few years, and ultimately back home to NC as a single, working mom.  Talk about a ride.  In the mix, I never had time to concentrate and finish my schooling.  This has always been a goal of mine and this year I decided, no better time than now.  I'm a couple of weeks in and still trying to find my rhythm. 

In addition to school, I have been really, really busy at work.  This is typically my busy time of year at work anyway but now I am also transitioning into doing two different jobs.  I'm working harder when I'm at work, putting in longer hours at the office, and bringing more work home.   I don't even need to explain what being a single mother entails.  Any parent, single or not, knows how much work is involved.  Needless to say, I'm having to cut back slightly on my blog.  My goal is to post 3-4 new recipes every week.  I hope those that follow will be understanding.

Friday night I decided to treat Serena to a girls' night in with a slumber party in mom's bed (this is a rarity because she's a bed hog).  We went to the Red Box and she got to pick out any kid-friendly movie she wanted, she got to pick what we were having for dinner (she picked Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole), she got to sleep with me, and I went to bed when she did.  She had my undevoted attention once dinner was done and the kitchen was cleaned.  She loved it.  And I'm still quite proud of the "Happy Gram" she got at school saying she had a great week and helped her friends and teachers out...

Dinner was excellent.  I have at least one other version of hash brown casserole on the blog but I liked this because instead of a side dish, with the incorporation of ham, it was a main meal.  I had it for breakfast and it was just as good as the night before. 

Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole
slightly adapted from Allrecipes

2 (20-ounce) packages refrigerated hash brown potatoes
8 ounces cooked, diced ham
1 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, mix hash browns, ham, cream of potato soup, sour cream, and Cheddar cheese.  Spread evenly into prepared dish.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly brown.  Serve immediately.