I had planned to go to a party on New Year's Eve that I was invited to since Serena wasn't going to be home and make and take my Won Ton Snacks.  Then I decided, I'm not much of a stay-up-most-of-the-night kind of girl and just the thought of doing so left me feeling exhausted.  So, even after putting out the ingredients to make this appetizer, I canceled and made other plans that allowed me to be at home, face washed, jammies on, curled up on the sofa long before midnight.  That's more of my style these days.

I figured I'd just make these snacks later in the weekend.  However, I already had a full day planned on New Year's Day to do some shopping and other errands and a traditional menu planned for dinner (pork spare ribs, greens, black-eyed peas, cornbread).  Then Sunday came around and I had lunch with one friend and beer and chicken wings with another, as we took in some of the football games.  It was late before I was ready to think about food again and I wanted to make something I could make several meals out of.  That's when I decided to throw together this pasta bake.

It was delicious!!  This was a great way to sneak in spinach and my daughter not mind it.  Me and Serena both had some for dinner that night, had it for our lunches the next day, and had at least one helping left over, and that's after sending dad a big bowl home. 

Pasta Bake

1 lb pasta (I used whole-wheat penne)
1 lb hot sausage
medium onion, diced
1/2 packaged sliced mushrooms, diced into smaller pieces
frozen spinach, thawed and water drained
jar traditional spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, add ground sausage and onion and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked and onions become tender, breaking the sausage up as it cooks.  Then, add the mushrooms and let this cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Add the spinach and sauce and stir good.  Reduce to low and simmer. 

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.  Drain.

In a bowl, mix together the pasta and the sauce mix.  Spread into a 9x13 pan and cover with mozzarella cheese.  Bake on 350 for 15 minutes or until the cheese hot and bubbly.