The other week as I was working from home on the laptop, comfortable on the sofa, I had the television on, primarily for background noise.  I wasn't really paying any attention to it as I was deep in my work but at some point, I got up to stretch my legs and take a potty break and I noticed an individual I had never seen or heard of.  On a slip of paper, I jotted down her name (Sunny Anderson) and went back to the work on hand.  Later that night, I pulled up Food Network, pulled up this chef and searched her top 100 recipes.  Over the course of a few minutes, I wrote down five recipes I wanted to try. 

Included in this list was a recipe for Bacon, Onion and Cheese Stuffed Burgers.  I love a good burger and like trying new variations so this was first on my "To Try" list.  I thought this was very good.  I did have trouble keeping my burger together (even though it was beautifully put together and formed, it seemed to separate during the cooking process).  That in turned, smoked up my house terribly but on the bright side, I got to smell these delicious burgers for a day and a half.  :-)

Bacon, Onion and Cheese Stuffed Burger
Food Network

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 strips bacon, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
4 burger buns
Lettuce and tomato for garnish

Preheat grill to medium.


In a bowl combine beef, garlic, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste, being careful not to over mix. Warm a skillet over medium heat and fry bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Keep heat on skillet and fry a pinch of the beef in the bacon fat to test seasoning. Adjust seasoning, if needed, then form 8 even thin patties, about 1/2-inch thick and set aside. Saute onions in bacon fat in skillet until tender, 5 minutes. Place onions and bacon in a bowl with cheese. Form a spoonful of bacon-cheese mixture into a ball, then place in the center of 4 patties. Top each with another patty and seal the edges. Grill burgers over medium-high heat, flipping once until desired doneness is reached, approximately 4 minutes each side for medium. Serve in buns with garnishes. Alternative: In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sear the burgers 4 minutes on each side.