I found this recipe in the local newspaper's insert called Relish.  I knew instantly when I saw it that I had to add it to our menu.  I love taters!  All types of taters - scalloped taters, au gratin taters, mashed taters, baked taters, fried taters...  I mean, I'm not sure I have ever had a tater I didn't like.  Now, combine that with my love of cheese, and it's sure to be a dish I will enjoy.

This dish was delicious!!!  I seriously can't recommend this dish enough.  I served it alongside pork tenderloin but I think it would be great next to a thick cut steak as well. 

Creamy Feta Potatoes
slightly adapted from Relish

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups finely diced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and covered with water
Ground black pepper

Melt butter in a large skillet.  Add onions and saute until they start to caramelize, about 15 minutes.  Add minced garlic for the last 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Stir in cheese.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 13 x 9 -inch baking dish.  Combine cream, milk and salt in a saucepan.  Heat to just under a boil.  Remove from heat.  Slice potatoes into 1/8 -inch slices.  Place a layer in the bottom of pan.  Season with black pepper.  Cover with 1 cup of onion mixture.  Repeat two more layers, leaving enough potatoes for a top layer.  Pour hot cream over top.  The cream should reach the top of the potatoes but not cover them.  Season with pepper.

Bake 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and use a baster to baste the top of the potatoes with cream from the corners.  Return to oven and back 45-60 more minutes until potatoes are tender and cream is nearly absorbed.  Let stand up to 20 minutes before serving.  Serves 10.