A very dear friend of mine sent me a case of wine for Valentine's Day.  I was absolutely thrilled.  I love wine!  And I love to try new wines!  I particularly like reds, though in the hotter months of the summer, I do drink whites on occasion. 

I thought it would be a great addition to the blog if I reviewed some of the new wines that I'm trying.  I could give my opinion and suggest food pairings.

The first wine that I tried was a Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina.  I was just introduced to Malbec wine within the past year and now drink it farely often.  Malbec is a variety of grape that is thin-skinned and needs more sun and heat than either Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot to mature.  The grapes tend to have an inky dark color and robust tannins.  Malbec grapes originated in the Bordeaux region of France but has become Argentina's signature grape and is quickly making a name for itself.  Malbec is typically a medium to full-bodied red wine.  It pairs nicely with a red meat dish or Italian dish (a hearty tomato sauced dish).

The description of the bottle included in my case from WSJ Wine, the Alambrado Malbec 2009 was:
Deep purple-red.  Enticing spice nose with notes of dark berry and fig.  Juicy blackberry, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate.  Smooth and rich, with a long finish.  13.5% vol.

WSJwine Item# 0217109 $14.99/bottle



My opinion - A very nice wine!!!  A smooth, soft blend that is not overpowering.

Suggested food pairings:

Steak with Onion Blue Cheese Sauce
Beef Wellington with Bordelaise Sauce
Pasta Bake
Classic Lasagna