I had some sweet potatoes that were given to me that I wanted to try some new recipes with.  I've never really used sweet potatoes for anything other than baked sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon or in a casserole, so I was excited to explore.  The first recipe I came across and was added to our menu was for Baked Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos.  These were really good but next time I make them, I'll omit the rice and add some grilled or baked diced chicken to the black bean mixture.  I prefer meat and I don't think anything would be lost with removing a carb.

Baked Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
slightly adapted from Tasty Kitchen

FOR THE RICE:

⅓ cups Brown Rice, Uncooked
Chicken Broth (Amount Specified By Package Directions, To Boil Rice)
_____

FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
1 whole Large Sweet Potato, Peeled And Cut Into 1" Pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter Or Margarine, Or More To Taste
1 pinch Salt And Pepper, to taste
_____

FOR THE BLACK BEANS:
1 can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed (15 Ounce Can)
3 teaspoons Lemon Juice, Fresh Or Bottled
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
3 dashes Cayenne Pepper
1 pinch Salt And Pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 whole Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 whole Green Chili, Deseeded And Minced (I used a Jalapeno pepper)
_____

FOR ASSEMBLY:
4 whole Large Burrito Sized Flour Tortillas
1 cup Grated White Cheese (Monterey Jack)
Sour Cream (optional Topping)

RICE:


Cook the rice according to package directions until tender (using the required amount of liquid – either broth or water). Drain, then fluff with a fork and let it rest with the lid closed while you make the rest of the fillings.

MASHED SWEET POTATOES:

Boil the sweet potatoes until very tender, then mash or whip with the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

SPICY BLACK BEANS:

In a bowl, mix the beans with the lemon juice and seasonings. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onions, garlic and green chili pepper about 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the bean mixture and warm through.

BURRITO ASSEMBLY:

Layer the warm ingredients down the center of each tortilla in this order: cheese, rice, beans, sweet potatoes. Fold the tortilla at the top and bottom of the filling in, rotate and roll the burrito up so that all the ends are closed. I served with sour cream.